Comprehensive Abattoir Effluent Plant

Share it...

POULTRY WASTEWATER

economics

ECONOMICAL, LOW MAINTENANCE

Anaerobic pond and micro-organisms dramatically reduces the need for mechanical intervention.

LEADING PRODUCER, SA

laborer icon

WATER RECOVERY, REUSE

Treating 4000m3/day of wastewater towards reuse standard - 30% for wash water and 70% towards potable quality.

Environmentally-friendly water purification facility is an economical, and reliable wastewater solution for this leading Chicken Producer

Comprehensive abattoir effluent treatment for Mpumalanga poultry abattoir. Dekker Biotech, South Africa
Supervisor
Poultry processing
The chicken products

This wastewater cannot be discharged into rivers or used for irrigation unless it complies with discharge standards set by the Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS).

System Design

An abattoir effluent treatment system that comprises Biological Fat Digestion, Anaerobic Treatment, Compact Biological Nitrification, and Advanced Stabilisation to treat 4,000 m3/day towards reuse standard. About 30% are being disinfected for reuse as wash water at the abattoir and the remaining 70% being purified with membrane technology towards potable quality for factory reuse.

Very Effective

With a system like this the chemical oxygen demand (COD - which reflects the degree of organic matter pollution in water), is greatly reduced from for example 4 000mg/ℓ in raw wastewater down to less than about 75mg/ℓ in the final stabilisation pond outflow.

< back to Our Projects

Photos below:

The integrated ponding system consists of an anaerobic pond, an anoxic pond, an oxidation pond with mechanical aerators, settling ponds, and a stabilisation pond.

The first step in the comprehensive abattoir effluent treatment system is preparing the clogged raw wastewater for treatment

Raw abattoir wastewater is known for its incapacitating clogging fat matter, which needs to be treated before any further bioremediation and water recovery can take place.  The raw wastewater is mechanically screened to remove large particles.  The screening is augmented with micro-organisms that assist in the digestion of fat, oil and grease.  Read more: BEFORE and AFTER sludge treatment of clogged raw abattoir waste pond.

DWS-standard treated water not being reused flows into this natural dam 

The natural dam attracts a variety of bird species including flamingos and other water birds while it enhances the overall aesthetic appearance of the producer's premises.

Water conservation:  The single most important advantage

Responsible wastewater treatment and re-use helps to conserve our water resources and improves relations between industries like this leading Chicken producer and the communities in which they operate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *