Protection of Personal Information (POPIA)
Adherence also to the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
South Africa's POPIA which refers to the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, requires Dekker Biotech to inform the consumer as to how their personal information is used, protected, and disclosed. Acknowledging the possibility that a visitor outside SA's borders might want to do an inquiry or liaise, we also adhere to the European GDPR privacy requirements. Most international visitors would find our transparency and commitment towards privacy accommodative of their privacy requirements.
In agreement with the above, Dekker Biotech, guarantees its commitment to protecting the consumer’s privacy and ensuring that their personal information is used appropriately, transparently, and securely. Contact us if you have any questions or problems regarding the use of your Personal Data and we will gladly assist you.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data do we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Our Cookies Policy | Our Cookie-List
- Contact information
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations that is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject - a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
Child - a natural person under 16 years of age.
Data Protection Principles
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you with information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited to a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of the data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Data Subject's rights
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have the right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages. Because systematic and regular data processing is not one of the core activities of Dekkerbiotech.co.za, it is not deemed necessary for Dekkerbiotech.co.za to have an appointed Data Protection Officer (DPO).
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right to withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Data we gather
Information you have provided us with
This might be your e-mail address, name or telephone number, etc – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a product/service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order to provide you with a biological product or to successfully answer your questions or solve your problems related to a product you have ordered from us and/or related service delivery. This information includes, for example, your name and e-mail address.
Information automatically collected about you
This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools. For example, your IP address. This information is used to improve the customer experience. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged.
Information from our partners
We gather information from our trusted partners with confirmation that they have legal grounds to share that information with us. This is either information you have provided them directly with or that they have gathered about you on other legal grounds. See the list of our partners here.
Publicly available information
We might gather information about you that is publicly available.
How we use your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service to you. This includes, for example, providing you with the products and services that you have requested, and communicating with you in relation to those products and services; communicating and interacting with you, and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your customer experience;
- fulfill an obligation under law or contract
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and with your Consent.
On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you with a service;
- to communicate either for sales or invoicing;
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes
- to administer and analyse our client base in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of products/services offered/provided;
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to provide you with the requested consultancy or wastewater services and communicate with you about it;
- to provide you with requested support on a biological product supplied by Dekker Biotech;
- to send you updates on Dekkerbiotech.co.za products or services;
- for other purposes, we have asked your consent.
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfill obligation rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We save your billing information and other information gathered about you for as long as needed for accounting purposes or other obligations deriving from the law, but not longer than necessary as determined by South African law.
We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context, and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing;
- the further Processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be an appropriate safeguard for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
If you submit an inquiry form on our site you will be opting in for us to save your name, email address and other relevant information.
The information is used to support you on wastewater matters and from time to time notify you about related content and other special offers.
You can opt-out or unsubscribe at any time in the future by clicking the link at the bottom of any email.
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Who else can access your Personal Data
We do not share your Personal Data with strangers. Personal Data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted partners in order to make providing the service to you possible and to enhance your customer experience. We share your data with:
Our processing partner
We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure an adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Our website uses plugins from YouTube, which is operated by Google. The operator of the pages is YouTube LLC, 901 Cherry Ave., San Bruno, CA 94066, USA.
If you visit one of our pages featuring a YouTube plugin, a connection to the YouTube servers is established. Here the YouTube server is informed about which of our pages you have visited.
If you're logged in to your YouTube account, YouTube allows you to associate your browsing behaviour directly with your personal profile. You can prevent this by logging out of your YouTube account.
YouTube is used to help make our website appealing. This constitutes a justified interest pursuant to Art. 6 (1) (f) DSGVO.
Further information about handling user data, can be found in the data protection declaration of YouTube under https://www.google.de/intl/de/policies/privacy.
Google Web Fonts
For uniform representation of fonts, this page uses web fonts provided by Google. When you open a page, your browser loads the required web fonts into your browser cache to display texts and fonts correctly.
For this purpose, your browser has to establish a direct connection to Google servers. Google thus becomes aware that our web page was accessed via your IP address. The use of Google Web fonts is done in the interest of a uniform and attractive presentation of our plugin. This constitutes a justified interest pursuant to Art. 6 (1) (f) DSGVO.
If your browser does not support web fonts, a standard font is used by your computer.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data. As no data is stored on the system we do not anonymise and pseudonymise your data, but to give an option of data deletion.
Even though we try our best we can not guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
We do not intend to collect or knowingly collect information from children. We do not target children with our services.
Our Cookies Policy and other technologies we use
A cookie is a tiny text file stored on your computer. Cookies store information that is used to help make sites work. Only we can access the cookies created by our website. You can control your cookies at the browser level. Choosing to disable cookies may hinder your use of certain functions.
- Necessary cookies – These cookies are required for you to be able to use some important features on our website, such as submitting a form. These cookies don't collect any personal information.
- Functionality cookies – These cookies provide functionality that makes using our service more convenient and makes providing more personalised features possible. For example, they might remember your name and e-mail in the inquiry form so you don't have to re-enter this information next time you want to request support or book a consultation.
- Analytics cookies - These cookies are used to track the use and performance of our website and services
- No advertising cookies - we do not use advertising cookies to deliver advertisements that are relevant to you and to your interests.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
You can remove cookies stored in your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
When you visit this Web Site, our server logs the following information provided by your browser:
- the type of browser and operating system your computer uses.
- your domain name extension (for example .com, .co.za).
- the referring site's address (the site where you clicked the link that led you to us).
- your server's IP address (a number that is unique to the computer connecting you to the Internet, which is usually one of your service provider's computers).
- the date and time of your visit.
- the address of the pages visited.
- the documents downloaded.
Our Cookie List
|CONSENT||persistent, third party||2 years||YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-advertisement||persistent||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Analytics" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||persistent||1 year||The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||persistent||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Necessary" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||persistent||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to store the user consent for cookies in the category "Others".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||persistent||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to store the user consent for cookies in the category "Performance".|
|CookieLawInfoConsent||persistent||1 year||Records the default button state of the corresponding category & the status of CCPA. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie.|
|test_cookie||session, third party||15 minutes||The test_cookie is set by doubleclick.net and is used to determine if the user's browser supports cookies.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||persistent||5 months 27 days||A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface.|
|YSC||session||YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages.|
|yt.innertube::nextId||never||This cookie, set by YouTube, registers a unique ID to store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen.|
|yt.innertube::requests||persistent, third party||never||This cookie, set by YouTube, registers a unique ID to store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen.|
|_ga||persistent||2 years||The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors.|
|_gat_gtag_UA_158799848_1||persistent||1 minute||Set by Google to distinguish users.|
|_ga_5VR6KL1Q1C||persistent||2 years||This cookie is installed by Google Analytics.|
|_gcl_au||persistent||3 months||Provided by Google Tag Manager to experiment advertisement efficiency of websites using their services.|
|_gid||persistent||1 day||Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously.|
|_hjAbsoluteSessionInProgress||persistent||30 minutes||Hotjar sets this cookie to detect the first pageview session of a user. This is a True/False flag set by the cookie.|
|_hjFirstSeen||persistent||30 minutes||Hotjar sets this cookie to identify a new user’s first session. It stores a true/false value, indicating whether it was the first time Hotjar saw this user.|
|_hjIncludedInPageviewSample||persistent||2 minutes||Hotjar sets this cookie to know whether a user is included in the data sampling defined by the site's pageview limit.|
|_hjSessionUser_1849551||persistent||1 year||No description|
|_hjSession_1849551||persistent||30 minutes||No description|
|_hjTLDTest||persistent||session||To determine the most generic cookie path that has to be used instead of the page hostname, Hotjar sets the _hjTLDTest cookie to store different URL substring alternatives until it fails.|
Last modification was made on 14 January 2022
The Dekker Biotech Team
All consultation requests, product-related queries and support must use this email line
Times you may expect support:
Mon – Thu: 8am to 5pm • Fri: 8am - 4pm • Sat, Sun & Public Holidays: closed